Hi,

I've been using the Minolta Scan Dual II scanner for about 2.5 months now and
it mostly works fine. However when I scan (mildly) underexposed negatives the
resulting scans are horribly "grainy" and sometimes contain some color banding.

Two example scans can be found on:

http://www.insun.cistron.nl/image03.tif (grainy and color banding)

and

http://www.insun.cistron.nl/image04.tif (grainy)

They are 1.9 Mbytes each, so it might take some time to download them.

I haven't been able to establish a pattern to when the color banding occurs,
but it does seem to be originating from a hardware (or firmware) problem, since
if the banding occurs it occurs while scanning with the original software as
well as the vuescan software. The only way to get rid of it is by powering
down the scanner and switching it back on again.

Another "feature" of the scanner is that it sometimes mis-recognizes the 4
frame slide holder for the 6 frame negative holder. This results in a horrible
grinding noise when the scanner tries to move the slide holder to the 5th and
6th frame, which of course is not there and by then the slide holder is blocked
by the back end of the scanner.
Until now it appears the scanner did not sustain any permanent mechanical
damage yet, but on the other hand it does show color banding more frequently
lately.

Do any list members have had any of these experiences with their Scan Dual II?
If so, were you able to solve them (the grainy scans and banding)? Since, I'm
no scanner expert it is very probable the grainy scans have to do with operator
error. I would be more than happy to be educated here :)

Oh and before you ask. I use the Minolta software version 1.0.1 and I believe
the scanner firmware version is 1.23.

Thanks and best regards,
  InSun