Since this is really off topic, I hesitate to join in for the engineers.
However, I can't resist, for a couple of reasons.
The lay people who run our political system seem to have an idea that the
Scientists are a higher breed than the engineers, so when an engineering
calamity strikes (e.g., Challenger shuttle) in search of the most
prestigious 'scientific' review, they appoint a commission of scientists,
most of whom have no idea of what engineering is about. Yes, engineering is
applied science, but it is very much a co-equal discipline, with its own
history and lore. The result is usually a mess.
Second, we would have far better architecture if the architects were more
engineering oriented, and less artistic. Each has its place, bu Louis
Sullivan had it right over a hundred years ago, when he enunciated: "Form
follows Function". In other words, above all, it has to work, and then you
worry about how it looks.
Hersch