Hi Dan,

I am replying off list because I don't think my comparisons of the 3600 and
the ss4000 is scientific by any means. I returned the 3600 for two reasons.
The first is that it sounded like something was grinding inside the unit
whenever it was in use. This may have been the reason I was unable to
achieve an acceptable scan from the unit. Does yours make noise when it is
in use? Or does it sound smooth?

Second, for some reason every third time I acquired the scanner it froze my
computer. This made it impossible to work with and impossible to do any real
test with it.

I have noticed when I compare the scans made by each that the ss4000 is a
cleaner less contrasty scan. I am using the Silverfast software with
excellent results. I was unable to get a clean scan from the Kodak unit.
Most scans had a lot of noise (grainy looking) and though the colors were
vivid most scans were to contrasty and the colors were blotchy.  All of this
may be accountable to mechanical problems with the unit.

I am curious to know how you like yours.