>I have calibrated the system using Adobe gamma (with the monitor
>contrast set to maximum and the brilliance set to minimum)

Having the monitor contrast at max and the brightness at minimum, and then relying on
Adobe Gamma to bring things back to a correct greyscale could be a bad thing. The
video card in the computer might then be running over a limited range of its D - A
converter, thus reducing the number of bits available.

I think it is very important to have the monitor set up with correct brightness and
contrast (i.e. with settings that display a full black to white greyscale, as neutral
as possible using the monitor's cut off and white point adjustments) before bringing
Adobe Gamma into the picture. That way Adobe Gamma only has to make minor corrections.

Colin Maddock