I was playing with the newest distribution of Vuescan last night,
trying to determine how and when VS determined the exposure.  I had a
difficult time with consistent determinations ... it would seemingly
determine the exposure (RGB and IR) only if I asked for 'scan|device'.
        What I was trying to do is get VS to modify its "autoexposure" based
on the cropped selection ... as if I could point "autoexposure" at a
negative's "whitepoint" ... and then choose 'preview|device'. (... or
for a negative, should I point the exposure at black shadows? ...)

        Similarly ... I couldn't get "manual focus" to work ... again trying
to get it to focus while paying attention to the cropped selection.
The "focus number" would read 3 significant digits (e.g., 0.281), but
would not change if I moved the crop and 'device|focus'.

        Ideally, I'd like to determine best focus and exposure during
'device|preview' and when I select 'scan|device', have VS do nothing
other than scan and write the RAW file.

        BTW ... VS worked really cool with PS6 open ... if I subsequently
wrote a cropped file, Photoshop would open it automatically ... and
waited for me to indicate the proper profile was embedded ... it
couldn't have worked much better if VS was a twain plugin  :o)

shAf  :o)
Win/98
Photoshop 6
Nikon LS-2000