That is precisely my point. Highly mechanical things are less reliable and
so the service contracts are more expensive. I generally get them for
mechanical things but not for purely electronic things, unless they're dirt
cheap like that Cornerstone monitor. I always get them for CD players
because they invariably pay for themselves, because eventually the
manufacturers don't have the parts to fix the old machines when they
inevitably break and they have to replace them with a brand new one. I
invested $60 in (two) three year service contracts ($30 apiece) for a
Philips CD player over the course of five years and this is exactly what
happened. I got a brand new machine from them (that actually had more
features than the original) when they couldn't repair the old one. Did I pay
the $30 for a new contract for the new machine? You betcha.

Frank Paris
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Julie, female Galah (3 1/2 years and going strong at the moment)
Little Birdie, male Splendid Parakeet (13 years)
Snowflake, male cockatiel (12 years)