Remember this conversation? Well, I finally got around to running
comparative tests, and after examining the same sharp printed scan using
both Tony's and Austin's technique with a 5X loupe for about five minutes, I
can't say I saw any difference between the two methods. I'll repeat what
Tony said because no one is going to remember after three weeks:

"6. The box below, Resolution, will have adjusted to some silly value as a
result of 5. Type in 240, or 300, or 360 or whatever value you want, as
appropriate for the printer (I use 300, as from tests it is the
diminishing returns point for me and convenient for other reasons, but run
your own tests with different values if you accept the 'magic number'
integer arguments presented here).

"7. Ensure 'Resample image' is checked and set to 'Bicubic' (try 'nearest
neighbour' or 'bilinear' if you wish, draw your own conclusions which
works best)."

For Tony's method, I used 300, directed to an Epson 2000P. To the naked eye
at 12", both prints (8"X10") look identical. So I guess I'll use Austin's
method, since there is less processing involved and you get to actual
printing faster.

Frank Paris
[EMAIL PROTECTED]