I have a question as result of the 'Color Profiles for Scanners' thread.

>From that thread I got the feeling that it isn't the best approach to have a
low (8-bit) image file with a large gamut space. You use a small part of the
possible 256^3 values in which a pixel can be RGB-coded, which is either
visible as a narrow histogram or considerable combing . Articles from Bruce
Fraser also seemed to suggest that.

What I have done however, until recently, is make a lot of high-bit scans of
color negative film, let vuescan code them in ProPhotoRGB, do my color
adjustments and convert to 8-bit files for archiving. My priorities were: 1
archiving, 2 monitor viewing, 3 web use, 4 printing.
I think now the approach taken was wrong for my priorities.
*       I should either have converted to a smaller gamut space just before
converting to 8-bit, or
*       should never have edited in ProPhotoRGB but in a smaller gamut color
space or
*       should have archived the 16-bit files instead (I am reluctant to do
this, I have a little crowded home)

Does anyone care to say something about the pros and cons of the three
approaches?

Thank you in advance,
even for reading this far,

Jerry Oostrom