I stand corrected again, thanks for the additional correction.  I am
beginning to feel like a servo mechanism which bounces from one correction
to the next.  But I guess I am learning new things from it. :-)

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Roman Kielich®
Sent: Wednesday, January 17, 2001 4:16 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: filmscanners: orange mask

At 11:56 16/01/2001 -0600, you wrote:
>Ok, Thanks for the corrective clarification.  Given this, I would concur
>that my earlier speculation on how it might be possible to cross-process
E-6
>to obtain a negative without the color mask would not work.  There are
>obvious differences between E-6 and C-41 processing apart from merely the
>reversal stage which would prevent cross-processing of E-6 using the
>traditional black and white processing that one can use to process C-41
film
>and get a black and white negative out of it.

Laurie, it is possible to cross e6 in c41. you gain approx. 2 stops in
speed, but you lose color rendition, you gain a hell of contrast.
otherwise, just standard c41 (time/temp/agitation). you can process e6 film
in BW chemistry (developer, fixer), but you gain nothing. The only
application - if you find 30 years old color film that was neglected at the
bottom of a family cupboard. Color processing won't work, but you can
salvage the images by processing as BW. Don't expect terrible quality,
though.