"Frank Paris" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> faces on this snippet offensive. I must confess that I have little
> experience shooting 400 speed transparencies, since I have shot 100 and
> slower all my life without giving the fast speeds much of a chance. So
maybe
> I just don't know what people find acceptable. If people experienced
> shooting 400 speed slides think the grain in this example is perfectly
fine,
> then I guess I just will never shoot with that speed film.

Frank, I've sent you jpegs of sections of two frames - one from 400F
and one from Konica 400 print film.  The comparison - although unfair
being slide vs neg - clearly shows how horrid grain can be in other
emulsions.  The grain in 400F would limit the enlargements possible
from it, but it certainly has uses.  If you're used to slower films, I'm
not surprised that the higher grain was a shock - especially when
scanned at 4000dpi.

If I have low light situations, I'll probably use Superia 400, since the neg
film gives me more latitude anyway and scans OK to low resolutions.

Rob