>I don't know about the 'analog gain', but I previewed 3 times
>last night, on the same image, and none of them picked up the
>'clean' function. I was getting discouraged, but the final scan
>came out beautifully clean. It would be nice if the 'clean'
>functions worked on the preview, ...

It used to.  The Restore colors, Clean and Sharpen functions were changed in Vuescan
6.6.1 to only change (show result in) the scan, not show in the preview display.

There was a good bit of discussion near that time on the utility of the preview.  I
recall that Ed wrote that its only purpose was for cropping, not to evaluate the
effects of color or filter functions on the scan.  I think some of this may have been
that filter functions performed on a full (or half) res scan would not produce the
same result as they would on a low-res preview image.  In contemporaneous discussions
Ed also wrote that some (if not all) of these functions were 3x3 pixel transforms; so
seems reasonable that these might operate differently on low res image vs same image
at higher res.

One can "preview" with almost full color and filter function now by performing a scan
to vuescan scan window only  (turn off scan to files).  Not clear that it saves much
if any time (may be system configuration dependent); if you also scan to file and
results are satisfactory then you have the data file whereas if preview only then you
have still to perform the real scan.

An intermediate scan-view-test function that 1) only scanned to vuescan scan tab
window, 2) applied all color adjust and filters, and 3) [possibly?] negated multiple
passes (single pass) could get close to a color and clean-grain-sharpen evaluation
preview (close in that there has been some discussion about color spaces and how color
appears on monitor re device, output file color, and monitor profiles and selected
color spaces.  There may be some windows vs mac differences too.

--
Bob Shomler
http://www.shomler.com/gallery.htm