>I think there may be an issue here with what is "apparent grain" and what
>is "real grain" and what is "grain aliasing".  In any case, I have yet to
>find a neg film which *doesn't* show unacceptable amounts of "grain" in
>things like blue sky, while pretty much *every* slide film gives reasonable
>results.

I think what you may have here derives in part from the sky and other nominally bright
parts of images on negatives being the darkest -- most dense -- in the film.  So sky
in negs can be more difficult and show grain and/or noise much like dark shadow areas
of slides are the difficult parts to scan and image.