My 7.1.3 has a seperate control for Image Brightness and Gamma.  Image brightness will
affect the blacks of the image, Gamma not so much.

I often leave Black to .01 or so which results in the black edge of negs or slide
masks going close to 0, I almost always go with Maximum and do any cropping later.

Epson Inkjet Printer FAQ: http://welcome.to/epson-inkjet