What part of the instructions do you find confusing?

 >>  I find the instructions very confusing.

What type of scene are you trying to scan?  Different scenes with dominate colors can
require different settings within vuescan.  I've almost always had trouble with grass
scenes myself.

 >>  My difficulty is that the colors
 >>  seem
 >>  somewhat washed out, especially blue sky.  I'm using a Mac and scanning
 >>  slides.   I'm not sure what my color settings should be, but I've set it
 >>  on:

White balance is generally the best, also try autolevels.  On my Scanwit autolevels is
nearly always better.  Occassionally you will have to try nuetral and make an
adjustment in photoshop.

 >>  White Balance

Your black point is a BIG reason your image is washed out, If you set your region to
maximum and your black point to .1 or so the edge of the frame will be taken to nearly
0 which _almost_ always is darker than any portion of your image.  This will bring
some saturation and contrast into your image.

 >>  Auto Blackpoint on
 >>  Black Point 0

The white point is likely too high for the scene, I often use bellow .1 and often .001
for the white point.  If you have used LEVELS in photoshop white point is similar, but
not exact, to move the white point triangle on levels to the left, it extends the RGB
values closer to 255,255,255 and can cause a wash out if set to low.

 >>  White Point 0.5

Adobe RGB has less saturation than some other spaces, but is considered a good editing
space for images as it is sufficiently large to contain most of the colors in real
life captured by film.

 >>  Color Space Adobe RGB

This setting is likely fine, If you are scanning neg film try going to 1.4

 >>  Gamma 1.8

1 is standard, it boosts more of the 1/4 or so shadows in scans, used mostly for
bringing up harse shadows from full sunlight.

 >>  Image Brightness 1

Automask isn't where you want to mess around with now, it's function is to compute the
removal of the orange mask of the film more than the balance of the scene.  If you are
using slides, it's a moot point.

Epson Inkjet Printer FAQ: http://welcome.to/epson-inkjet