That vuescan text (below) states that the black point determination uses the histogram
of each color -- three histograms.  Might the combination of color balance / neutral
and black point computation result in one or two color channels with pixels below the
calculated (luminance) black point?  In what software/tool is the histogram being
viewed?

In Photoshop a calculated luminosity histogram is displayed by Image->Histogram while
the logical-or overlay of the three channels is displayed by the RGB channel in the
levels dialog box.  For Image->Histogram be sure that the histogram box shows cache
level 1, which can be obtained by Shift+Image-> Histogram selection if preferences
setting calls for using cache for histograms.

Bob Shomler
www.shomler.com