I have just started using my new Sprintscan 4000.  before I invest a lot of
time in the learning curve, can anyone recommend which scanner software is
best for which users?  Insight and Silversoft are included with the scanner,
and I could easily get Vuescan.

I am an amateur photographer using both slide and negative film.  My
preferences run to very sharp, realistic prints in both B&W and color, and I
might occasionally want to enlarge a portion of a 35mm frame to 8 x 12.  So
far, I have used Insight and had no particular trouble with color fidelity
getting through Photoshp 6 and my Epson 1270 printer. So I am not intending
to spend a lot of time adjusting color.

Bob Goldstein