<< I'm only half joking when I suggest that you keep the scanner, dump your
Windows XP
 machine, and get a Mac. I too have a new SS 4000 Plus, and it works
flawlessly on my G4
 running OS 9.2. Plus, it connects via firewire. >>

Well, given that I can't dump the computer, I assume that the OS recognizing
the scanner would fare no better if it were connected via Firewire.  It does
come with a firewire card, though I don't know if it is one supported by XP.

Howard