<lovely long explanation of potential Minolta DiMAGE Scan Elite II problems
snipped>

Arthur,

Thanks for this! Fortunatley, my (secondhand) Scan Elite II does not exhibit
this problem.  What I do have, however, is a lot of noise in the dark areas
on negative film.  Is this a known failing?  Multi-sampling does not seem to
alleviate the problem.  Is this just the grain that I am seeing?

Thanks for any info (and any other hints on this scanner!)

Ian