Regarding software for the Mac, I've been looking into this.  I've
downloaded all of the following demos.  Here are the programs I've found and
some prelim info.  I'm running on a 400MHz G4 under OS X 10.1.4 and OS
9.2.2.  The one speed test I did was to add a 10 image set that averaged
47Mb per image.  The results I got are puzzling.

Apple iPhoto - free - Very attractive except for a huge flaw for my use - it
keeps a copy of the image on your hard drive.  This wipes out the ability to
off-load indexed images to CD and still have them in your index.  Also, it
seemed like it could only use a limited number of keywords. Didn't do the
speed test.

ACDSee - $40  Doesn't seem to support keywords per se; rather searches on
the Comments field.  But searches are only made on the ACTIVE folder.  So I
didn't see how to search the entire database. Seemed strange.  Maybe I
missed it. Speed test = 42 sec.

Iview Media Pro - $50 Also seemed to only search on keywords in OPEN
folders.  Also bombs every time I quit. Speed test =6 sec.

FotoStation 4.5 - $100  Doesn't yet support OS X, therefore, didn't try it.

Canto Cumulus 5.5 - $100  Doesn't yet support OS X. But I tested it anyway.
Doesn't seem to have keywords, per se, but you can search in several of the
data fields.  Speed test = 40 sec.

Extensis Portfolio - $200  Beta version for OS X is available for testing.
Speed test = 4 sec.

I'm GUESSING that the 4 and 6 second results for adding the 10 large images
somehow grabbed existing thumbnails while the approx 40 second ones "built"
their own.  So I don't know that the test is meaningful.  Opinions??

Brad Smith