It's true that high quality silver-based B&W film, when properly exposed and
developed, has a higher dynamic range than chromogenic B&W.  It's also true
that it is not a classic "wet darkroom" film, since it's normally developed
by a one-hour type color lab.  However, based on my experience with a
"consumer" film scanner, low priced scanners don't have the dynamic range to
handle the range of density that good B&W negatives can produce, so this may
be a moot point.  The chromogenic films are certainly convenient, especially
for the darkroom challenged, but I don't think that there's one out there
with all the speed that TMAX 3200 offers.