I usually use the WB setting but as you do, I will sometimes use the
neutral setting.

I haven't used "Ektachrome" in quite a while, but the film I have used
when not shooting Velvia is Elite Extra Chrome, which I understand is
the consumer version of Ektachrome 100VS (I think...)I actually like
that film very much.

  I do get the same results as with Velvia, and again, that film does
much better when I use the Polaroid software.

My monitor was set up with Adobe Gamma and I use that profile in VS. I
know that hardware calibration is best, but I have been getting very
good results with prints matching what I see on the monitor with
Photoshop--so I have been reluctant to do anything with the monitor setup.

Anyway, if you or someone would be willing to send me your Vuescan
settings from an Ektachrome or Velvia scan (Save Settings and email the
resulting vuescan.ini file), I might learn my errant settings.

Stan Schwartz