>From Andrew Stiller

> >>  I just did some heavy editing of a file prepared by someone else, and
> >>  now I find that the note durations play back as if the machine was
> >>  drunk. ...

> >Try Options/Playback Options and uncheck the 4 boxes at top left

> Already did that. No help. Now what?

I think this problem must be due to the quantisation settings when you first
loaded the midi file into Finale, Andrew.  When you think about it, you are
trying to get someone  else's "inaccurate" (in computer terms) performance back
into printed notes with precise start and stop times, so there will always be
*some* editing to do, but the settings can make a big difference to the manual
work required.

I'm afraid there's not a lot you can do to improve the Finale file now that
you've edited it and saved it - not without a great deal of work, that is.  It
would probably be best for you to abandon this and try reopening the midi using
different quantisation settings until you find the best ones.  Find out the
shortest duration note in the piece and set the quantisation accordingly, and if
there are no tuplets in the piece, make sure you tell Finale not to create them.

Play it back each time after quantising, making sure you have all four boxes in
Playback Options unchecked - that way Finale will play it as it appears on the
screen, not as the file was recorded, and you will be able to tell the amount of
editing needed.  Don't edit any notes until you've found the best version and
saved it.  When you finally do any note editing, save the file as a new name -
that way you won't have to quantise the midi file again if you need to start
over again.

Sorry I can't give you better news.  I hope you've still got the original midi.

Peter