A half diminished chord is a four-tone chord built on the seventh degree of
the diatonic major scale. It contains scale degrees 7, 2, 4 and 6, and
consists of the root, a minor third, a diminished fifth and a minor seventh
(as opposed to a fully-diminished chord which has a diminished seventh).
Typically associated with the Locrian scale, this chord has a predominantly
dominant function and can substitute for a regular dominant seventh chord.
         It is also found in the minor mode, built on the second degree of
the diatonic natural minor scale (or the harmonic minor), and contains
scale degrees 2, 4, b6, and 8/1. Used this way, it has a subdominant minor
function, leading to a V7(b9) chord or some substitute. It commonly takes
the locrian scale as well (but if it's used in a major key, can take the
Locrian#2)
         Using other parent scales (dorian or melodic minor), you can
create half-diminished chords on VI (where it would usually take the
Locrian#2 chordscale). It contains scale degrees Nat6, 1, b3 and 5. It has
a tonic minor function and acts as the related IIm7b5 for V7/V.
         In first inversion, the half-diminshed seventh chord is identical
to a minor sixth chord.
         The symbol for the half-diminished chord is either Cm7b5 or using
the little diminshed sign with a diagonal stroke through it.

         (Reference:"The Jazzmaster Cookbook", Jim Grantham ... and a good
few years of university theory classes. =^^= )

Taris