At 12:39 AM 5/19/02 +0200, Johannes Gebauer wrote:
>Virtual Memory means that some of what the computer keeps in it's RAM is
>temporarily stored on your hard disk to make room for more applications.
>This way the memory that your computer can address can be extended.
>
>OS 9 is not very good in doing so (which is the reason that it is required
>to be switched off for serious Audio work).
>OS X has Virtual Memory, too, but it is much better integrated into the
>operating system (and cannot be switched off at all, as far as I know).

This is very similar to Windows in advanced audio work. Virtual memory
isn't turned off, but rather removed from Windows' control by setting the
swapfile win386.swp to a fixed size (at least through Win98SE). The Windows
memory manager isn't always very efficient, and disk swapping can slow down
the system and require frequent reboots for effective use, so it's usually
turned off for audio work.

In Windows it's also possible on disk formatting to choose from among three
different file systems and word sizes, which handle access in different
ways; some are more efficient for audio.

Prorec.com has frequent features on how to optimize Windows file and memory
systems for audio. To test disk optimization, search for the little CLI
program called dskbench.exe; good memory management utilities are found at
analogx.com

Dennis