I would like to find out if there are alternative solutions to two
situations likely to affect anyone setting liturgical music.

1) Text underlay in Falsobordone.  i.e. multiple words under a single note.
Add an additional layer with as many notes as there are words and then hide
the layer.  Unfortunately it then becomes necessary to manually adjust the
spacing for each bar in the system ('avoid collision of lyrics' does not
seem to work when pushed to this limit) and the manual adjustment does not
work very well, with variable distances between words.  It is so easy to
make an adjustment that causes Finale to undo these manual changes.

2) How to deal with the starting intonation.
Currently I add an extra stave and additional bar (as long as is required
with alternative noteheads to get black semibreves with no tails).  Then
force a line break and optimise the systems to lose the rest of the parts,
and then the intonation for the rest of the piece.  Then adjust the length
of the line for the intonation so it does not take up the whole width of the
page and look ridiculous.  Does anyone have a quicker method?

Michael Lawlor
Cornetts & Shawms

Director of Concerto San Giacomo, Tempest & Isorhythmics