Didn't we have this same argument a couple months ago about "sordina/sordino"?

I haven't tracked the etymology of cappella, but I assume this is another
case where Italian spelling was less uniform several centuries ago, and the
phrase was exported to other languages in a different form where it became
entrenched.

I know that "cappella" is the correct spelling of the Italian word for
chapel, but I'm not convinced that's relevant. When you say "a cappella",
you're not saying "in the chapel style"; you're saying, in whichever
language you speak, "sung without instrumental accompaniment".  In English,
many reputable dictionaries acknowledge "a capella" as an equally
acceptable spelling.

For what it's worth, I prefer the spelling with two p's.  But I also prefer
the spelling "gray", but that doesn't mean I tell others who write "grey"
that they're wrong.

mdl