Andrew, I won't argue your point that many, if not most composers in history
lived at least partly on the public dole, but will only point out that the
history of partially free markets is much shorter than the history of music.
I can't give you a similar list of those who never became artists because
they were not favored by the state for obvious reasons.  Your criticism of
the statement that "government subsidies inevitably result in hack work" is
a straw man argument that was not made by me.

I do dispute your argument that free markets require some kind of bizarre
economic reductionism.  Even in the study of economics, "value" does not
necessarily mean "monetary value".  People have no problem making hundreds
of "economic" (rightly understood) decisions every day, calculating and
comparing the value to them of money, time, effort, relationships, work,
leisure, and other non-monetary values.  In arguing for free markets, I am
simply expressing the idea that the complex matrix of human relationships in
society is best both morally and practically when coercion is reduced to the
absolute minimum.

In the best free market tradition, I highly recommend Andrew's book on
instrumentation.  And I have to stop flaming and get back to writing the 2
pieces I'm working on.

-Lee