Andrew,

In OMS Setup, go to Preferences (edit menu), and uncheck the box that says
"When AppleTalk is on, ask me about turning it off."

About the problem of QuickTime playback not working, I have had similar
isolated instances when setting up my new lab.  I haven't figured out what
made it happen, or how I got it to stop doing it, since I am installing so
much software.

When you set up your OMS Studio, have you done a test of the instruments?
(Command-T, and click on the instruments to hear output, or to wait for
input).  If QuickTime synth plays under the test, then OMS is not the
problem and Finale is.  Again, I'm not sure what to suggest as the culprit.

I do know that you can always turn on "Internal Speaker Playback," and that
will play your score using QuickTime instruments rather than going through
OMS to do it.

Tim Thompson