Ah, thanks, Michael, for letting me know. I had intended to send it to the list. But
I doubt it's important enough to warrant doing so now!  ;-)
 Your post reminded me of it, being the "reductio ad absurdem" of the line you were
following: if stealing a phrase of 4 notes (three Gs followed by the Eb a third
below, say...) is infringement of copyright, how about "stealing" a single note? (Or,
in the apocryphal sense someone else brought up, using in one's own piece some
fraction of Cage's 4'33"... But for that matter, Cage himself might be vulnerable to
an infringement suit from the estate of W.A.Mozart-- wasn't it he who made some
oft-quoted pronouncement about the silences being at least as important as the
notes?)
 Enough! I *rest* my case  ;-)
Cheers,  Ch.S.