>From: "Howard Rigby" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2002 21:18:46 -0400
>
>Music I'm working on has key sig of d minor. Clarinets are in A, and I've
>set this staff to independent key sig so only the one flat shows (as the
>source does). Playback transposition is fine. When all other staves move to
>D major the clars move to F major. Of course, this is the SAME key sig the
>clars had before. The trouble is that I *want* the outgoing key sig
>cancelled in the other staves, but it looks stupid to cancel the b-flat and
>restrike it in the clars!

First off: the D minor section should be in written F-minor with your A
clarinets, methinks. The change to parallel major should be F-major in
the clarinet parts, with three flats naturalized at the bar line (and the
non-transposing instruments will have one flat naturalized).

I'm not going to fire up Finale to test this out, but last time I looked,
you didn't need to bother with "independent key sig" just because you're
using transposing instruments. Ind. Key Sig was for bitonality (and
tri-tonality, etc... incidentally, Ruth König once described bitonality
as the art of writing bad music in two keys at the same time.-)

Anyway, suggest you try w/out the Ind.KeySig option. The staff
transposition should deal with key signatures appropriately.

As I recollect, this was one of the things that Finale did "right"
without intervention from the user!

Hope this helps,

Peter

---------------   <http://www.bek.no/~pcastine/Litter/>   ---------------
Peter Castine       | From the Litter Power Thesaurus:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]       |   Frequency-domain interval mutation: lp.frim~
[EMAIL PROTECTED]     |