On 12 Jul 2002, at 4:01, Mark D. Lew wrote:

> As for the type-in-score question. The obvious problem with what was
> originally suggested is that Finale stores anything that's typed onto
> the page as an expression. On the whole, this is a very good thing,
> and I don't think it ought to be changed even if such a change were
> practical (which it surely isn't). So if a Sibelius-minded user comes
> along and types "pizz." over and over every time he wants one, he's
> going to end up with a dozen different definitions of "pizz." in his
> expression list.

I think that's a ridiculous objection.

The question as to what happens when you type into the score an
already-existing exression would be up to Coda's programmers. The
could do like Microsoft and have an autocomplete list, for instance.

And in any event, the way Sibelius manages automatic playback of
typed-in-score expressions is by having a predefined list of them, so
that each instance of "pizz" in fact derives its meaning from a pre-
defined single expression definition.

To expand on some of your other comments:

I'm still in the old version of Finale where you had a separate tool
for note expressions and another tool for score expressions (note vs.
measure in your description). I vastly prefer note expressions
because I find that I very seldom have scores in my work where
placing an expression in multiple staves is the slightest big useful.
The music just doesn't work that way, and I also see lots of cases
where there are differences in placement in my sources, sometimes
differences that make a huge difference in performance. I don't want
to lose information so I place each of my expressions individually.

Obviously, were I composing an orchestral piece and wanted the entire
brass section ff, a score/measure expression would make more sense,
but not for the work I do.

My point: the problems you have will depend on your personal working
style and the kind of music you are engraving.

The whole point of my raising the issue of automatic placement was
that articulations placed with metatools have automatic placement. If
expressions would simply be changed to have the same kind of
automatic placement in the expression definition, I'd be happy.

Of course, I also think all of these items should be made object-
oriented, in the inheritence and sub-classing sense. For that non-
programmers, what I mean is that one should really need to create
multiple definitions with completely different behavior that look
exactly the same. For instance, I find myself needing in some scores
to have two "p" definitions because of different instruments, or
context or whatever (real live musicians would understand to
interpret them differently, but the computer needs help). Often, I
only need the second definition in a couple of locations. If I could
right click on a particular instance of "p" in the score and override
the settings for that particular instance alone, it would be
extremely helpful. I could, then, adjust one "p" to be louder or
softer. I also think the "display only" attribute should be one of
things you could override on individual expressions. I still think an
expression should be definable as display only, but it would be nice
to be able to override individual instances (and it would be nice if
the display of these subclassed expressions/articulations would
indicate that it has been altered from default settings).

The basic principle is that the item in the score has default
behaviors which are inherited from its parent (the expression or
articulation definition), and any particular occurrence of that item
can have certain its default properties overridden for that one
instance.

--
David W. Fenton                         |        http://www.bway.net/~dfenton
David Fenton Associates                 |        http://www.bway.net/~dfassoc