On 12.07.2002 21:20 Uhr, Peter Castine wrote

>>> Even OS X, the biggest OS change
>>> in the last 18 years, still lets a number of non-updated apps run. Shame
>>> about the audio & MIDI, though.
>>
>> That is strictly speaking not correct. Anything that is not Carbon (ie
>> Classic apps not updated for OS X) will not run in OS X directly. Full stop.
>> You may be able to run it in Classic
>
> I was talking about Classic.
>
> Like 68k emulation on PPC, it allows old, non-updated programs to run.
>
> I didn't claim that it was fast, or pretty, or anything else. Just that
> it handles backwards compatibility. And some engineers put in a
> considerable bit of effort to make that backwards compatibility happen,
> it didn't come for free.

I am not really enough of an expert to comment, but 68k emulation worked
just a little different from how Classic works in OSX. You cannot run any
non-carbon app under OS X directly, whereas 68k emulation worked without the
user noticing anything (apart from slower speed). Classic has it's own
desktop and appearance, I don't think this really counts as running old apps
under OS X. Instead you run the old OS under OS X, and it really works much
worse than I expected. For me this is not really an option, and until
everything I need to run regularly will run under OS X I won't switch.

And not surprisingly that currently comes down to Finale and very little
else.

Johannes
--
http://www.musikmanufaktur.com