> I'm only discussing an option that I think would improve handling
> significantly, making it more logical and in keeping with how the music
> progresses in a performance situation.
>
> Such an option would define a new Finale level to be added to groups,
> staves, layers, and voices that represents a player's part,
> called whatever
> is useful - "player" or some such is good. (This was actually discussed a
> few years ago on rec.music.compose.)
>
> For example, parts could be extracted at the staff/group level (the way
> it's done now) or the "player trail" level. The "player trail" would
> extract to a separate player's part this entire trail, which would include
> any staff, layer, voice, style, clef, expression, articulation, division,
> Midi patch & data, etc., that was assigned to that player during input or
> later editing.
>
> It would be a *pre*-extraction way of guaranteeing a proper result, as
> opposed to the time-of-extraction way it's done now.
>
> In other words, the idea of a "player" is really another way of producing
> the "part", but one I would find far superior to collecting
> staves here and
> styles there to make sure everythind ends up in the proper
> player's basket.
>
> I don't expect this to happen soon (it hasn't in 10 years), but it
> certainly would make me salivate!
>
> Dennis

I like your idea of an additional sublevel of organization for the "player".
If I'm not mistaken, this is the way Igor Engraver forces you to set up a
score, at the highest level of organization.  Not that I would wish this
software on my worst enemy; I found this feature confusing and inflexible,
but over a period of 3 days I never got it to run more than 10 minutes at a
time without crashing.  I use Finale several hours per day every day, and it
crashes about once every 3 or 4 weeks (almost always relating to MIDI
playback).

-Lee