At 3:58 PM 07/14/02, Johannes Gebauer wrote:

[answering me]
>>(a plan which is now in limbo, since I've
>> discovered that for my main client I'll actually need v2002 for
>> Windows...).
>
>Why? The two are file compatible now, and even the text coding should
>automatically get fixed, so there shouldn't be any reason you cannot use a
>Mac? Perhaps I am missing something.

I wasn't quite clear.  I *want* to switch Finale to my Windows machine,
because it is much faster and has a larger screen.  My plan was to time the
switch for when I upgraded to v2003, so that I could save money on the
upgrade/crossgrade cost and also make the adjustment to a slightly
different look only once instead of twice.  The recent discovery is that my
client is going to continue to want files delivered in v2002, for
compatibility reasons.

You're right that I can keep using the Mac like I have been (which I might
end up doing, if they won't sell me Fin Win 2k2 at all now), but I had
hoped to switch.

--
>No, as far as I understand you set all the different tools up once, and then
>you only have to invoke "New Spacing" and it will do _all_ the steps for
>you. But as I said I don't do lyrics much, and haven't dealt with them for a
>while, so I am not what you could call an expert.

You're probably right.  As I noted, I was only going from what I read in
the manual; I didn't get a chance to actually try it.

>I find that TGTools offers amazing help in doing just that, since it allows
>me to do things like add space (often needed in multi-layer parts with
>accidental-collisions).

Yes, I saw that, and it looks very handy.  I've got my own little bag of
tricks I routinely use for spacing touch-ups (most of them centered around
the idea of making some temporary change or addition, respacing the bar,
and then removing the change). In simple situations this is a breeze,
especially for recurring patterns where I know from past experience exactly
what to do to make it come out just right. For others it gets tedious and I
can see that the TGT feature would make it go a lot quicker. (That's
another reason I hope to switch to my Windows machine, incidentally, though
as I recall, I lose someone else's plug-ins that way.)

mdl