Question for Mr. Smith and the list:

<snip> Same for "voices", I learned here
on the list never to touch them, and to use layers instead, even
though it is one of the first topics in the tutorials.</snip>

I'm a regular user of Finale, almost exclusively for church music purposes, since 3.7
or so.  I attended the "Unaccredited Finale School of Hard Knocks" for my education in
the tool, but can get by pretty well - and recently, in large part, with much
information gleaned from this list.

But this snip from a very recent post has me scratching my head again.

I transcribe/arrange/compose for church choral use a fair amount, and in doing SATB
2-staff notation, there are definitely some times when the flexibility afforded by
voices/layers is required.  May I ask why there seems to be such a prejudice in the
list for layers over voices?  Probably due to my lack of skill and experience with
them, I find layers to be difficult to use, mostly because they introduce extraneous
rests into the combined staff parts.

Sorry to drag up again what must be a well-worn subject for much more experienced
Finale sages.

Scott Green
Baton Rouge, LA