"David H. Bailey" wrote:

> While your suggestions of mini-libraries is a good one, I am not really
> clear about why you would want to create them in the earliest version
> you own.  Have you run into problems with backward compatibility with
> libraries?

The fact that there are a couple of individuals with whom I may need to share
active files who are using older versions of FIN is the reason I do much of my
preliminary work in FIN 2k.  I do remember once, unsuccessfully trying to load
one of my "mini-libraries" created in a version of Finale into a document
created with an earlier version.  As a result, I formed the opinion, that
since compatibility is one-way, that if I'm going to be creating these shapes
and expressions in an empty document anyway, in general, I'll gain the most
flexibility by creating them in the earliest version I own.

> Also, how often do you need to use your earlier versions of Finale?

I'm uploading some items to the Choral Public Domain Library, and anticipate
contributing some public domain items to an archive of Organ music operated
under the auspices of Project Gutenberg.  My opinion is that by uploading
these in an earlier version makes the items more widely accessible, in the
instance that, for example, someone wants to re-format something I uploaded in
landscape format to portrait for printing purposes.

> I simply keep working on older documents in the newer versions of Finale
> as I need to and I haven't had a problem with importing them into the
> current Finale version.

Personal work, including work on items I choose to prepare hoping to sell, I
plan to release in the latest version of Finale.  Using an earlier version for
public domain material is principally a matter of courtesy.

ns