At 7:44 PM -0400 9/30/02, Darcy James Argue wrote:
>On 9/30/02 6:10 PM or thereabouts, Lee Actor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> intoned:
>
>>  If possible, you might
>>  consider reorchestrating the passage with simple div. and non div. to give
>>  the correct balance.  For example, with Vln. I on the "2/3" part and Vln. II
>>  div. on both parts, you get almost exactly a 2/3 to 1/3 balance, and
>>  everyone knows what to play without additional explanation.  Of course, the
>>  passage may not lend itself to this kind of arrangement, but it's worth
>>  looking at.
>
>Unfortunately your suggestion won't work here, Lee. Basically what I need is
>to divide *all* of the violins into three equal parts, thus Vln 1 = 2/3 on
>top note, 1/3 on bottom note; Vln 2 = 1/3 on top note (same as Vln 1 bottom
>note), 2/3 on bottom note.  It's a short passage and not worth using an
>extra staff or whatever.  This is going to good solid orchestras, and
>shouldn't confuse anyone so long as the intent is clear.
>
>- Darcy

Is the string section going to be exceptionally small? If it isn't,
then I suggest splitting the seconds and leaving it at that, which
puts a little more body on the top line where it belongs, and still
at least 4-8 players per part for the lower two parts, depending on
the size of the orchestra. Especially if the passage is short, just
decide on one section splitting, and don't worry about it.

Christopher