>Dear Listers,
>
>What is the best way to write a  Contralto Clarinet part for the average
>high school player?
>
>Should I write the part as if it were a bass part and have the contra
>pretend the part is in treble clef, or should I write in treble clef and
>apply an Eb transposition?
>
>Thanks.
>
>Larry

The theoretical answer is that all clarinets, like all saxes, are notated
in treble clef with the appropriate transposition.  The practical answer is
that these high school players read from tuba parts most of the time, and
are used to reading bass clef in concert pitch.  That's the case with the
bass sax player in our community band, and I just give him parts the way he
wants them.  I'll be interested to see what others have to say.

John

John & Susie Howell
Virginia Tech Department of Music
Blacksburg, Virginia, U.S.A. 24061-0240