I have been in dialogue (email) with Finale support about a problem I have
with smart slurs.  I'd like to first explain the problem and then report the
response I received from Finale.

THE PROBLEM:  I am using FIN2003 Windows.  I have discovered that the
placement and arc of smart slurs is inconsistent and that what I see on my
screen is not what I get when I print it out.  The print out is also
inconsistent but at different places that what I see on the screen.  The
problem occurs when I have (in 4/4 time) 8 8th notes in layer 2 beamed in
groupings of 4 and sometimes slurred in groupings of 2 and other times in
groupings of 4.  These 8 8th notes are merely a descending scale starting on
4th line D of the treble clef.  Because the slurred notes are in layer 2 the
slurs are always on the beam side.  Sometimes the arc is very high while
very low on others.  Sometimes the placement is far away from the beam and
sometimes it is close to the beam.  I set up an example of this for Finale
support in which the same measures were duplicated at 100%, 85% and 70%.
The result was additional inconsistencies between the 3 percentages.

THE RESPONSE:  Finale acknowledges that it is a problem and the solution is
to turn off the smart slur function.  That DOES fix it.

THE RIP-OFF:  Finale is not planning to have a fix for this until a new
version is ready (maybe FINALE 2004 ??).  They said it will NOT be included
in any FIN2003 upgrades.  This means I (we) will have to pay for the fix.  I
already paid for it when I bought FIN2003 didn't I?

I went from 2001 to 2003.  One of the main reasons I upgraded was for this
feature.

Feeling ripped off in Indiana!

Lee Dengler
Minister of Music and Arts - College Mennonite Church
Assistant Professor of Music - Goshen College
Director - Goshen Community Chorale
Composer, Engraver
Work 574-535-7262