on 10/31/02 8:36 PM, Darcy James Argue at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On Thursday, October 31, 2002, at 11:27  PM, JD wrote:
>>
>> Well Darcy, I think you hit it straight on.  Coda told me Finale Mac
>> 2003
>> looks for any USB ports when launching.  If it finds any, it
>> automatically
>> disables Finale MIDI drive.
>
> Hmmm... that's odd.  Did they tell  you why?  (I suspect it's just not
> worth their while to Carbonize their MIDI driver, especially since
> there are existing solutions in OS 9 and support for MIDI I/O is built
> in to OS X 10.2.)
>
>> At this point, my only options are OMS or FreeMIDI.  I guess I'll be
>> manicuring my Digital Performer setup to run Finale.  I'll get it to
>> work,
>> but it wasn't my first choice.
>
> Yeah, it can be a bit of a pain to set up OMS for the first time, but
> once you get it up and running it should work just as well as the
> Finale driver ever did.  Good luck.

They weren't specific about it.  To quote:

"Finale 2003 automatically scans your computer and if it sees USB ports, the
Finale MIDI driver will be disabled (since the Finale midi driver only works
with serial ports). If you have both serial and USB ports on your computer,
you must use OMS with Finale 2003 instead of the Finale midi driver."

The only time I've used OMS is when I've needed ProTools.  Honestly, all my
digital audio work for the last 2 years has been Digital Performer
exclusively, so why bother.  I'll set up Fin 2k3 with FreeMIDI once push
comes to shove. I have a G4 port installed and my MTPs are all serial.  I've
had no good experiences with ANYTHING USB, MIDI or otherwise, so I'll forge
ahead.  Right now I'm trying to finish up a deadline Finale job that's
staying in 2k2.  No desire to move 'upward'.

Good talking with you.

L8R
JD

J.D. Thomas