I'm with Phil on this one.  If I'm in a word processor (WordPerfect, MS
Word, even old WordStar, take your pick) and I do a merge document, the
program combines the text with the fields from the database and
automatically formats it, does all its word wrapping, etc. and the output is
just right with no need for touching things up.  That should not be any more
involved than a part extraction in Finale.  I've spent many hours fixing
extracted parts myself.  Even with all the "avoid collision" boxes checked I
end up with collisions all over the place, especially with accidentals.  It
even happens in the original document!  (So I fix them in the original
score, extract the parts, and then have to do it all over again in the
extracted parts.)  And often I can fix them up with the Speedy Entry tool by
clicking on an offending note and adjusting it slightly one way or the other
without having to change the width of the measure.  There was room there for
the material, but Finale didn't make the adjustment like Phil and I (and
probably many others) think it should.  After all, what's the point of
having the "avoid collision" options if they aren't going to work when you
activate them?!  And using the Mass Mover (now MassEdit) tool to change the
spacing doesn't help any either.  It doesn't seem to make any difference
whether you choose note spacing, beat spacing, or time signature spacing.
There are collisions that just won't go away unless they're dealt with
individually and manually.  I also get similar problems with first and
second endings, particularly in parts that have just rests in one, the
other, or both.  And in that case (with a multi-measure rest in the ending,
or at least at the end of it), you can't access the right-end repeat handles
without going into scroll view.  And then sometimes I get it fixed in scroll
view but when I switch back to page view, the changes go away and I have to
try again.  It can get very frustrating doing individual manual fixes that
should have been made automatically.

And now for an entirely different question:  is there a way to get the
various voices in a score to play back only on the left side or right side?
I.e., if I'm working on a string quartet and want the first violin and viola
to play back on the left while the cello and the second violin play back on
the right to achieve a stereo effect.  Maybe better yet, have the first
violin play back totally on the left, the viola 2/3 on the left and 1/3 on
the right, the cello 1/3 on the left and 2/3 on the right, and the second
violin totally on the right which would produce a sound very similar to what
one would receive while standing in the midst of or directly in front of a
quartet in which the players are, left to right, first violin, viola, cello,
and second violin.  I haven't been able to find a way to do that.  (And I'm
using speakers plugged into the sound card, not a MIDI instrument.)  Thanks.

Norm

----- Original Message ----- From: "David W. Fenton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>