At 5:26 PM -0500 11/16/02, John Howell wrote:
 >I also have wondered for a long time about the word "atonal." I can't
figure out any meaningful definition for it that includes how the
listener would hear it, which I would have to try to take into
consideration.

Christopher
The textbook definition is that it is music with no tonal center, while
pantonal music has all tonal centers present.  I would certainly have a
difficult time telling one from the other!  And of course some of Berg's
works beg the definition because the tone row suggests tonality!

John

Exactly. Like Berg's violin concerto (a gorgeous work!) among others. Serial music is not necessarily atonal (whatever that means), but that still puts me back at square one...