> Also, could someone comment on the virtues of Logic or Cubase as opposed
> Performer (plain Performer or Digital Performer?  My interest, as a
teacher
> and user, is in more-or-less pure MIDI sequencing (I use Spark,
> SoundDesignerII, and ProTools for digital editing).

A few years ago I switched from Cubase to Logic, and found that the MIDI
capabilities of Logic are outstanding.  There seems to be a lot more options
for manipulating data in a practical, day-to-day sense.  I highly recommend
Logic for MIDI work.  The only thing is that the MIDI arpeggiators in Cubase
are really fantastic - inlcuding being programmable.  As for audio editing,
you're correct in sticking to those applications IMO.

Mind you, apparently John Adams uses/used Performer (he used it in writing
his Violin Concerto I remember reading), so it must be reasonably good.

Good luck with it,

Matthew