Vincent Cordel wrote:

>It's basically an orchestral score for an opera having 36 staves and
>1000 pages, written by hand fairly small. I'll have to give the score
>and maybe the extracted parts.
>
>Could you please tell me the rates you usually use for such a work ?
>I always worked with companies where I was paid for a designed task.

I'm not a professional, so I'll defer to those who are, but this sounds
like a massive undertaking, possibly even one you will decide to
subcontract part of.

>I guess I should be paid on a page basis rather than on a measure/staff
>basis.

My instinct would be to charge by the hour rather than by the page,
especially if the hand is at all difficult to read.  Corrections caused by
the composer at the same rate, corrections caused by you at no charge.

>Also should I apply a discount because this is a big score ?

You can build that into your quote.  Using arbitrary figures, quote
$50/hour for your work, but offer a "discount" to $30/hour.  Don't forget
that you are skilled labor, and that auto mechanics and plumbers make money
in that range while CPAs and lawyers START at around $100/hour and go up
from there!  If the notation is not conventional, ask a higher price--or
maybe not, since if it takes you longer you will still be paid by the hour.

>How should I be paid ? 50% at the beginning and 50% at the completion or
>should I be paid every 50 pages for example ?

This is a very good question.  Building contractors typically ask for 1/3
up front (they have to buy materials), 1/3 when the building is "under
roof" (they have payrolls to meet), and 1/3 when the job is complete.  They
have legal recourse to putting a lien on the physical building if that last
1/3 is not paid promptly.

Something similar may make sense for you.  Say 1/3 before you begin, 1/3
when the score is complete, and 1/3 on delivery of the parts.  But of
course before you can do that, you have to estimate what the entire job
will cost.  Hmm.  Simpler would be a substantial retainer before you begin,
payment for the time already spent less the retainer when the score is
complete, and payment for the additional time spent extracting parts when
they are delivered.  I doubt that a mechanic's lien on the parts would be
practical!

John

John & Susie Howell
Virginia Tech Department of Music