Bob, which version of Finale is this? I'm not sure what you mean by:

and then in Staff tools use clear alternate notation .
I can't find this command in Finale 2003. In all versions of Finale since 2000, alternate notation is applied using a staff style, so all you need to do to get rid of it is to remove the staff style from the measures in question. Choose Staff tool, make sure that "Show Staff Styles" is selected in the Staff menu, highlight the the coloured line that marks the staff style and delete it.

Alternatively, if you're not using any other staff styles, you can use Mass Edit > Clear Items, choose "Measure Items" and check "Staff Styles".

Michael Cook