On Fri, 6 Dec 2002, David H. Bailey wrote:

> NO DISCOUNTS!  This sort of a project is much larger than you imagine at
> the start, so if anything you should figure in a SURCHARGE to cover time
> you haven't imagined you would need.
>
> [snip]
> Their carpenters don't give them a discount, the electricians
> don't give them a discount,

The mention of electricians reminds me of an experience my father had. He
was an electrical contractor. About 35 years ago, he was asked to submit a
bid for rewiring a very old house. He had plenty of work at the time, and
really didn't want the job. (He told me that he didn't want the job at the
time.) He tried to make sure he didn't get the job by estimating all the
materials and labor "high"--he was certain that he would price himself out
of the job. Then, just to make sure that he didn't submit the low bid, he
doubled the amount of his already high bid.

Well, he was the low bidder, and I ended up helping him rewire the house.
(I was a teenager at the time.)

I'm not sure if this applies to you. Make sure you don't underestimate the
scope of the project.

Good luck!

Weldon

--