Aaron Sherber wrote:

> At 09:18 AM 1/18/2003, Colin Broom wrote:
>  >1.  In the measure tool, if in Finale 2002 I wanted to
> change the style of
>  >barline, I could while in the measure attributes dialog box
> double-click on
>  >the type of bar I wanted and it would select that bar and
> immiediately exit
>  >the dialog box.  Now in Finalle 2003, even if I
> double-click, I still have
>  >to press OK to confirm it.
>
> This was touted as either a feature or a bug fix in 2003a,
> and there was a
> discussion about it here when it happened. I think Randy
> Stokes said that
> the behavior you described was removed because there are no
> other Finale
> dialogs where you can double-click on an option and have the
> dialog close
> automatically. Personally, I'm on your side -- I know the
> behavior was
> inconsistent, but as I said to Randy, I *liked* this
> particular inconsistency.

No, there was more to it than that. The problem is that the Measure
Attributes dialog can be invoked for a single measure or for multiple
measures. When invoked for multiple measures, the barline buttons are
"3-state", which means you can unselect one without selecting another one
(to leave barlines unchanged across measures). Then the problem becomes the
same one you would have if you allowed double-clicking a checkbox to dismiss
the dialog -- the first click would change the checkbox, then the second
would change it back and dismiss the dialog in one action, leaving you
scratching your head as to why nothing changed.

So we could have made the single measure version of Measure Attributes
behave differently from the multiple measure version, but that makes things
inconsistent.

I appreciate that you liked that inconsistency, but if you think about it,
why should a double click on one control dismiss the dialog, but not on
another? It makes sense if the dialog is entirely about selecting one thing
(like a clef). But if the dialog presents a lot of different attributes for
something, why should you only have the shortcut for one arbitrary element?

I don't expect everyone to agree with the rationale, but the decision was
not made lightly.

Randy Stokes, MakeMusic