>The only
>way I can think of to get the double beam without the artifacts is do draw
>the second beam with a shape expression or custom line, but these solutions
>are kluges. Is there any way of getting the notation I want?

I remember having a similar problem once.  It seems like the Beaming
Options setting should have been the answer, but it's not.  I'm still not
sure if the effect of having the short beam continue all the way to the
rest is a bug or an intentional choice. To me, it just looks wrong.

My answer was to write two sixteenths in a separate layer and then adjust
them to exactly overwrite the 16th-rest-32nd figure.  I used tuplets to
make the horizontal positions align, but you could do the same thing by
moving the second note right with the special tool. You also have to make
sure the stems/beams are adjusted to match.

Still a kludge, of course, but in my situation I preferred it to having a
separate expression.

mdl