Dear experts,

Tell me if I have this straight: When a horn part moves into the bass clef these days, the transposition remains the same as it is in treble clef, sounding down a fifth. However, some time in the past (when?), the transposition was up a fourth. The horn is one of the few (only?) instruments that does not read concert pitch when bass clef is used. I am excluding those instruments that play an octave lower or higher, such as the string bass and bass recorder. If I find bass clarinet or baritone sax parts in a score written completely in bass clef, I should assume they are to be read in concert pitch. I took instrumentation classes fifty years ago, but I've tried to keep current (and my orchestration books are at school, and I'm at home).

Sorry for all of you facing ice and snow while we out here in Oregon's western valleys are basking in the high 50s and low 60s. It's El Niņo again, and we'll pay for it come the hot, dry summer.

Hal
--
Harold Owen
2830 Emerald St., Eugene, OR 97403