The easiest way to see what Slur Symmetry does is by example.

Start with 16th notes, starting with treble clef E top space, then jumping
up an octave and descending stepwise back to E. Add an engraver slur from
the first E to the last E.

What you have is a very asymmetrical "envelope" for the slur to wrap around.
Slur Symmetry influences how symmterical or asymmetrical you want to allow
the slur to be.

In Smart Slur Options, set Initial Adjustment to Stretch, as percentage of
slur length, and change the percentage to 100. Now change Slur Symmetry to
100. You will notice that the slur stays symmetrical, meaning it has to jump
much higher to clear the envelope.

Change Slur Symmetry to 0. Notice that the slur is much more asymmetrical
now, so it doesn't have to leap nearly as high.

But of course, *really* asymmetrical slurs are ugly, so you'll ordinarily
want something in between.

Also, realize that symmetry is only one factor in plotting the slur. That's
why I said the setting "influences" the symmetry, rather than "controls".

I hope this helps.

Randy